Paid Internship in Albany

Good morning,
My name is Joshua Terry, and I am the Legislative Director for the Civil Service Employees Association, Local 1000 AFSCME. We are a public sector labor union representing employees in New York State and local governments, school districts, public authorities, and the private sector.

I am currently recruiting for a full-time legislative and political internship in our office in Downtown Albany. This full-time paid internship runs from early January through mid-June to coincide with the state’s legislative session. Interns are the eyes and ears of CSEA for day-to-day legislative matters. They attend legislative sessions, committee meetings, and public hearings on a range of topics. They learn to write legislative support and opposition memos as well as budget and legislative summaries for consumption by union staff and officers. They will be immersed in the Albany legislative world, while also learning the politics behind the policy and how unions and other lobbying entities attempt to be part of the process.

This internship is intended for juniors and seniors who have strong writing and analytical skills and have an interest in state government affairs. Past interns have gone on to work for the NYS Governor, Lt. Governor, U.S. Senators and members of Congress, trade associations, multi-national corporations, labor unions, and lobbying firms, while others use this as a springboard to go to law school or obtain other graduate degrees.

If students are interested they can reach out to me directly via e-mail, Hand Shake (if your school participates), or LinkedIn.

Thank you.
Joshua Terry, Legislative Director
Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA) Local 1000
Office: 518-436-8622 
Mobile: 315-727-6949
Email:  josh.terry@cseainc.org